Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Topics...anyone?


My new goal is to find a blog with topics--or questions that I can respond to. If anyone has any of interest that I might enjoy---let me know. I think it might be helpful and get me thinking about topics/ideas I may not otherwise "muse" over.

I did finish my fifth book in my race to read 100. And as the future mother of a boy, the book Guys Write For Guys Read was insightful. It is a collection of short stories, comic books, etc. written by popular male authors (Steven King, Gary Paulson, Walter Dean Meyers...). I really enjoyed the book because it talked about the stereotypical "guy" while acknowledging the fact that guys have different interests, abilities...there is no typical, and it was nice to read a book that really put that out there. I am not sure my son will be a reader, I certainly hope he is, but this book also recognized that males often have different reading interests--they like the sports page, and magazines, non-fiction and genres that are not always seen as "literature". I am a bit believe that reading is reading, what every my son is interested in, and whatever texts he wants to read, I hope to be encouraging and supportive. One thing Guys Write For Guys Read conveyed is the importance of "guys" having the freedom to be who they are.

No comments: